For emergencies call us on: 0800 068 6893
Here’s what you do if you smell gas:
- Put out all naked flames
- Turn off the gas supply at the meter using the meter isolation control valve
- Never ignite a naked flame
- Which means no lighting of cigarettes.
- Do not operate electrical switches or appliances
- Instead open windows to ventilate the area
- Keep people away from all doors and the affected area
If for some reason you cannot reach us, then call the National Grid on 0800 111 999
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Monoxide (CO) is produced when carbon based fuels such as gas are not burnt correctly. This can be caused by incorrect installation of gas appliances and their flues. Incorrect ventilation and lack of servicing can also cause an appliance to burn incorrectly.
If the flames appear lazy and yellow and appliances are surrounded by large amounts of soot, these are tell-tale signs that Carbon Monoxide is being produced. Turn the appliance off immediately and call us.Exposure to Carbon Monoxide can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue and flu-like symptoms. Severe cases can lead to convulsions, unconsciousness and even death.
If you feel any of these symptoms evacuate the property immediately. If you have been feeling ill and suspect CO poisoning, then ask your doctor for CohB test. In severe cases call 999 immediately.
We can ensure all your gas appliances are serviced annually and fit a Carbon Monoxide alarm that meets the EN50291 standard, just give us a call.
Don’t panic. The first thing to do is to stop the water passing the point of the leak. Turn off all stop valves (Stop Cocks), which are often found under the kitchen sink. If there is not an internal valve, turn off the water at the external boundary stop valve, which may be under a cover in your garden path. If the escaping water cannot be controlled immediately, open all cold water taps so that the storage system and pipework drains quickly. DO NOT TURN ON HOT TAPS. Turn off the central heating system and switch off any electric immersion heaters, then call us.
If a pipe freezes, turn off the mains water supply at the stop valve inside your home. If the frozen pipe runs from a storage cistern and is not controlled by a valve, check it has not split. If it has, empty the cold-water storage cistern by opening the cold taps and flushing the WC. Now call us.
If the pipe is not split, thaw it out by applying hot water bottles. If any part of the hot water system is frozen, there could be a risk of explosion if the boiler or immersion heater is left on, so ensure it is turned OFF.
Be careful, although water may be flowing from taps other parts of the system may still be frozen. Do not try to thaw out the pipework quickly, as there may be splits in the pipe that are not immediately noticeable.
Never use a naked flame to thaw a pipe and always start thawing a pipe at the end nearest the tap.